More than 40 thought leaders and 1,200 women from all walks of life will be gathered on Friday and Saturday, August 6-7, 2010, at the One Woman National Business Conference® (One Woman®). Hosted by the Texas Business Alliance, One Woman® will again be held at the Omni Houston Hotel, Four Riverway, Houston, Texas 77056. This year’s theme is “Still Standing,” celebrating the resilience of entrepreneurs who withstood 2009’s challenging economic climate. Registration is now open and is being offered at a 50 percent discount through the end of May via the new One Woman® Web site: www.onewomanconference.com.
Congresswoman Sheila Jackson Lee is the 2010 One Woman® Honorary Chairwoman. “I’m pleased to support Texas Business Alliance and the One Woman National Business Conference®. The purpose of One Woman® is two-fold. The conference will equip entrepreneurs with real, actionable, practical knowledge to help them survive and thrive in today’s economy. Secondly, One Woman® creates an opportunity for contractors and suppliers to meet and discover opportunities to work together. The conference is of high quality and I look forward to welcoming the attendees and supporters in August.”
“Last year’s inaugural conference was extremely successful with 92 percent of attendees finding it beneficial and 94 percent indicating they’d return again this year,” said Texas Business Alliance Founder and CEO Jeffrey L. Boney. “Even though last year’s conference was extraordinary, we believe One Woman® 2010 will be even greater. We made a decision to bring in a number of high-powered speakers to deliver the latest business trends that will give our attendees a competitive edge.”
The goal of One Woman® is to transform women from the inside out. The wisdom, life sessions and practical tools obtained will cultivate an inner confidence to produce even larger external results in business, relationships and in the home.
Program highlights from the conference’s 24 workshops for novice and seasoned business owners, main stage conversations and five free public forums include:
• “Work Your SKIRT,” will be presented by national speaker, author, lawyer and participant on Donald Trump’s “The Apprentice” Marshawn Evans. Evans will help conference attendees discover the four essential dynamics of building a brilliant personal and business brand.
• “Entrepreneurship: Is it my hobby or my business?” is presented by Dr. Randal Pinkett, author, writer, entrepreneur and winner of Donald Trump’s Season 4 of “The Apprentice.” Dr. Pinkett will share the successful strategies to turn a side hustle into a successful business venture.
• Author and Speaker Dayna Steele, Steele Media Services, will help “Find Your Inner Rock Star,” by sharing
the four “rock star” principles to build a stage for success.
• “Making the Leap from Corporate to Entrepreneur” is simplified by speaker and author Laura Lopez. She will share just what it takes to transition into a business that taps into your passion and strengths.
• “Working For You Isn’t Working For Me!” presented by author and speaker Kathi Elster, K Squared Enterprises of New York, will help the audience traverse the tricky waters of knowing when it’s time to let go of toxic clients that are hurting your bottom line. Elster is the co-author of “Working for You Isn’t Working for Me – The Ultimate Guide to Managing Your Boss” as well as the best selling business book “Working With You Is Killing Me – Freeing Yourself From Emotional Traps at Work,” which hit the bestseller lists of the New York Times, Business Week and the Wall Street Journal.
• Speaker and author Karen McCullough will help attendees tap into their seven women during “The Seven Women Project.” This workshop provides relevant and simple tools to help women connect with themselves and other women, raise their happiness quotient and achieve the success they desire.
Main Stage Conversations
• Black and Brown Opening Luncheon Symposium features special remarks by Marshawn Evans. The Black and Brown symposium is entitled “African American and Hispanic Shared Experiences with the Big Three Es: Education, Employment and Entrepreneurialism.”
• Nationwide Vice President Jasmine Green will be joined by other Fortune 500 executives for the Corner Office Chat where the inner workings of corporate America will be shared.
• The Relationship Seminar is a fun, light-hearted panel discussion regarding the hazards of relationships in the areas of business, finance, love and home. Several industry experts will be featured including the “Money Lady” Marilyn Logan. Following the seminar, registrants and guests will unwind while shoring up contacts made at the Party on the Patio.
• The Soaring Heights Awards Brunch will feature keynote speaker, actress and director Kim Fields. Fields will speak on the topic, “Still Standing.”
Fields is still standing after more than 30 years in show business. She gained a tiny place in pop culture history as the spry, know-it-all “Tootie” in the long running TV series, The Facts of Life. Unlike many child stars, Fields made an effortless transition to adult roles and continues to receive critical acclaim as an actress in comedy or drama, on stage or on television. With her degree from Pepperdine University, she reinvented herself again and began directing. Fields is currently working as a director for the sitcoms Tyler Perry’s Meet the Browns and Tyler Perry’s House of Payne. Away from the cameras, Kim the poet and spoken word artist performs globally at jazz festivals and spoken word lounges under the name “Blondielocks.” Her life and career have been the subject of an A&E Biography as well as a Lifetime Intimate Portrait.
Free Public Forums
One Woman® will kick off with “God in the Market,” a forum that seeks to incorporate bible-based business principles and will include a live gospel performance. Three forums will deliver specialized industry education in food service and hospitality, health and beauty, and visual arts. Youth, ages 13-19, are invited to “Extreme Youth Entrepreneur” where disc jockey “Nnete” from Houston’s 97.9 FM “The Box” will moderate a fast-paced roundtable and forum to teach youth the ins and outs of entrepreneurialism. Youth currently participating in the Texas Business Alliance Youth Entrepreneurship Academy® will share details about their experiences in addition to other guests and celebrity speakers.
Anchoring One Woman® is a vendor expo. Small business owners are invited to secure booth space to connect with individual consumers and/or corporate and governmental contracting entities. Authors also are encouraged to secure space to feature their book projects. Expo space is now being sold.
Visit www.onewomanconference.com for details regarding the One Woman® Shark Tank competition for $5,000 in cash and prizes, registration, expo, sponsorship, program advertising, award nominations and more.
About Texas Business Alliance
A member-driven, solutions oriented, 501(c)(6) nonprofit organization, with a mission to equip minority- and women-owned businesses to be qualified suppliers, ready to compete for public, private and international opportunities through progressive development, and specialized training. Its vision is to strengthen the Texas economy and spur job creation by expanding minority- and women-owned businesses, and encouraging youth entrepreneurship. Chapter organizations are being pursued in Dallas/Ft. Worth, San Antonio, Austin and El Paso. Visit www.texasbusinessalliance.org for more details or call 281.213.9554.
Margo Williams Handy, MWH Public Relations
281.213.9554, 832.492.2407 or firstname.lastname@example.org