The Houston Community College Board of Trustees approved prime contractors for six out of the 14 of proposed Groundbreaker Bond Program construction projects.
- Southwest College Stafford Campus Tellespen Builders, L.P.
- Southwest College Missouri City Campus Turner Construction Company
- Southeast College Eastside Campus Turner Construction Company
- Northeast College Northline Campus Tribble & Stephens Construction Ltd.
- Northeast College Acres Home Campus Jamail & Smith Construction, L.P.
- Central College Main Campus Turner Construction Company
“This is an important construction program for our community. It delivers the classrooms and laboratory facilities that will train our area’s growing workforce,” said Renee Byas, HCC Acting Chancellor. “It also demonstrates HCC’s commitment to the local economy with 85-90 percent of the overall program funds spent at the sub-contractor level, while prime contractors will see 10-15 percent.”
Later this year, HCC begins construction on its $425 million Groundbreaker Bond Program. The selected project contractors will operate as Construction Managers-at-Risk (CMARs) for the projects they were tapped to manage.
Adding to HCC’s Grounderbreaker Bond Program is an aggressive small business engagement plan. HCC’s GameChanger SBE Program has a goal of awarding 35 percent of Groundbreaker Bond Program construction work to SBEs.
Texas law requires that CMARs select subcontractors using a publicly advertised competitive procurement process at the end of the design phase. The subcontractor procurement process ensures that projects are constructed by the trade contractors who offer the “best value” to the project, taking into account both quality and price.
Director of Public Relations & Media