Ten projects now approved for $425 million Groundbreaker Bond Program; SBE networking event scheduled for July 11
The Houston Community College Board of Trustees has approved prime contractors for four additional Groundbreaker Bond Program projects, bringing the total number of approved contracts to ten.
New contracts approved include:
- Southwest College West Loop Campus Skanska USA Building, Inc.
- Southwest College Brays Oaks Campus Turner Construction Company
- Northeast College North Forest Campus Durotech, Inc.
- Central College South Campus Manhattan Construction Company
HCC’s $425 million Groundbreaker Bond Program includes 14 construction projects at all six HCC colleges. The prime contractors will serve as Construction Managers-at-Risk (CMARs) for projects they are selected to manage.
“Construction begins this fall on HCC’s Groundbreaker Bond Program, and we continue to make significant strides in our progress,” said Dr. Cesar Maldonado, Chancellor, HCC. “Our bond program aims to make a positive difference in the small business community, with 35 percent of overall construction work going to SBEs. Moreover, 85-90 percent of program funds will be spent at the sub-contractor level versus 10-15 percent at the CMAR level.”
GameChanger Small Business Networking Event
To help meet its 35 percent SBE goal, HCC and Jacobs Program Management will host their next SBE networking event at the HCC West Loop Center from 8:00 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. Friday, July 11, 2014. HCC’s small business engagement program is called GameChanger.
This free event will allow small business subcontractors to meet the CMARs in charge of construction projects. Industry experts will also be on hand to provide advice to SBEs about bonding, banking and insurance. Breakout sessions will be held on related topics that will be helpful to SBEs.
Prior to today’s announcement, HCC named the following project CMARs:
- Southwest College Stafford Campus Tellespen Builders, L.P.
- Southwest College Missouri City Campus Turner Construction Company
- Southeast College Southeast Campus Turner Construction Company
- Northeast College Northline Campus Tribble & Stephens Construction Ltd.
- Northeast College Acres Home Campus Jamail & Smith Construction, L.P.
- Central College Central Campus Turner Construction Company
A Little More About CMARs
Texas law requires that CMARs select subcontractors using a publicly-advertised competitive procurement process at the end of the design phase. The subcontractor procurement process ensures that projects are constructed by the trade contractors who offer the “best value” to the project, taking into account both quality and price.