HOUSTON (Tuesday, Oct. 30, 2012) – Dynamo Charities, presented by Halliburton Charitable Foundation, has received the J. Howard Rambin III Founder’s Award, it was announced today. Dynamo president Chris Canetti accepted the award, which honors an organization’s time and efforts to beautify the city of Houston.
The award commends Dynamo Charities for its participation in “Building a Better Houston”, presented by BBVA Compass, a community improvement campaign for Houston’s East End neighborhood that started before the opening of BBVA Compass Stadium and will continue to impact Houston through the life of the partnership.
“Building a Better Planet” and “Building a Better Community” were two community initiatives within the Building a Better Houston campaign that received recognition for improving Houston. During the Building a Better Planet recycling drive, Dynamo fans gathered more than 3,000 lbs of recyclable materials. The 1.5 tons of mixed recyclables collected resulted in the following environmental impact:
• 26 Trees saved
• 6,116 KWH of energy conserved
• 10,430 gallons of water preserved
• 5 cubic yards of landfill saved
• 881 lbs of air pollution eliminated
With the participation of Dynamo Charities volunteers, the Rebuilding Together Foundation, and a $50,000 grant from the BBVA Compass Foundation, several improvements were made within Houston’s East End. The Building a Better Community project, produced the following results:
• Three homes in Houston’s East End neighborhood owned by low-income, elderly citizens received exterior home repairs, including window replacements, new roofs, wheel chair-accessible ramps and painting and carpentry repairs
• In partnership with the Houston Parks and Recreation Department and the City of Houston, Settegast Park in the East End received trash pickup and landscaping, including new mulch for trees
• 90 BBVA Compass Bank employees and 20 Dynamo employees committed a total of 550 volunteer hours
ABOUT DYNAMO CHARITIES
Dynamo Charities, presented by Halliburton Charitable Foundation, is a 501(c)(3) organization and the charitable arm of the Houston Dynamo. It believes in using the power of the Dynamo and the sport of soccer to support the Houston community. For more information, log on to HoustonDynamo.com/Charities or call (713) 276-7574.
Founded in 1919, Halliburton is one of the world’s largest providers of products and services to the energy industry. With more than 70,000 employees in approximately 80 countries, the company serves the upstream oil and gas industry throughout the lifecycle of the reservoir – from locating hydrocarbons and managing geological data, to drilling and formation evaluation, well construction and completion, and optimizing production through the life of the field. Visit the company’s website at www.halliburton.com.